a repository of sundry ramblings and images . . .

14 July 2011

30 Days of Get Your Art On--My Day #1

My sister is very fond of strawberries.  Today is her birthday.  Need I say more?

Inspired by a pair of earrings in Patricia Kimle's book Perfectly Paired, the tops are made of silver artclay, the berries of a blend of Premo! polymer clay colors and the seeds are bits of pure silver wire that I torch-fired to get their tiny round shapes.  I tumbled the tops and the seeds to obtain the polish that I was wanting.  The berries are wrap-looped and hung on pure sterling silver simple hooks.  The earring on the right also has my signature charm hanging on it.  Rather than paint them with mica powder tinted liquid polymer clay as suggested in the book, I carefully brought out a warm luster on the berries with a buffer wheel on my dremel.  I am waiting for an order of Renaissance wax to arrive so that I can use it to coat the silver and berries, looking for a finish to preserve their luster as long as possible.  Then they will be really finished, ready for shipping.

It has been fun getting back to metal clay again.  The combination of that with polymer clay is dynamite!

2 comments:

  1. Those are fabulous earrings. Lucky sister! Good luck on your 30 day challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Helen. I really enjoyed making them. I think I might have to make some more!

    Regarding the 30-day challenge, I've never done one before, though I've often wondered how I would do. Friends of mine do 365-day challenges with other ventures--argh! Thirty suits me fine!

    ReplyDelete