a repository of sundry ramblings and images . . .

26 July 2011

Day 13: Metal work 101

day 13 by Annclinations
day 13, a photo by Annclinations on Flickr.


Not satisfied with the way the charms moved around on the big links of the chain I created yesterday, I decided to see what I could do to improve it without totally starting over (and wasting the fine silver wire!).    These are the steps of the chain revision:
  • charms off
  • links "rounded"--they ended up wonky circles, which I like
  • made a ton more jump rings (3mm diameter, 0.8 mm fine silver wire)
  • joined up every other big link with a little one
  • lengthened the basic chain by adding more fused links (am getting better at fusing!)
I also made more head pins while I had my torch out.  Now everything is in the tumbler being polished and work-hardened.  Tomorrow I go back to putting the charms on.  Think I may have to keep this piece since it has taken me so long to do it!

One of the things I really like about the jewelry I make is that I get to do it all:  metal work, beading, sewing, photography, etc.  I just need to get better / quicker at many of those tasks in order to ever make the process profitable.  If I don't make it profitable somehow, it is a very expensive hobby!

I bought some natural colored silk today and some cotton thread.  Not happy with the stringing of the pendant for this set, I want to try my hand at making and dying silk ribbons to go with it.  Fingers crossed that the learning curve of that process isn't as long as some of the other ones!
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment